Monday, April 14, 2014

Oh what a difference a day makes! The ceiling and floor are finish

I can't express the joy and satisfaction I felt buttoning up the trailer after finishing work on the trailer today.  Closing it up for the week is always hard because I think, "Oh just one more day...." but today it was magnified because I was so close to putting in the walls.

Let's take a walk back to how the trailer was delivered to us.  The ceiling, which was vinyl planks we special ordered and paid for out of pocket were put in sloppy showing the blue seams and falling down around us.  We never had a floor that was left as just raw plywood which was splintery and caught on the mattress, not to mention when it leaked both times it became mildewed and moldy.  Here is how things looked before.

 Mildew on the floor and frame from the galley and cabin leaking twice.

  This corner is just filled with mold and mildew from the galley hinge that is cut too short and leaks.


 This was our ceiling falling down around us and ruined because he didn't take time to line things up or support it while the planks dried so nothing stuck and we were out the cost of this special order product not to mention the numerous random staples he used without a pattern which tore through the vinyl planks .


 Staples were put everywhere tearing the vinyl planks and making the ceiling unusable when we took it out.  I was extremely upset because this cost us over $200 and it was money and product lost because Crybaby Teardrop did a horrible job installing it rushing after assuring us they could install it to perfection and actually just not caring what they delivered to us in the end.  They had our money so they didn't care what they delivered.

 We never had a floor it was delivered to us as raw plywood.

 This is another project, I have to hire a welder to weld a proper bottom to this storage, right now it is only this flimsy plastic sheeting.

  Here is a panoramic of our trailer before I started the repairs showing the water damage to the bare floor and how nothing fit or was constructed well.


Okay now are you ready?  I mean are you really ready??  You are not going to believe how it looks today!  I spent many long hard hours to get this trailer where it is now, my muscles hurt and my hands and knuckles are raw and cut up.  I can say I have put blood, sweat, and tears into this trailer.... and a CSI investigator can verify that.  LOL  I ache today but it's a good ache.  I worked from sun up to sun down throughout the weekend, only taking a break to be the photographer at a charity tea party on Sunday.

I am covered in sawdust and I can't lift my left arm, but girls you can do this don't think it's out of your scope.  I know I was my Dad's shadow and learned all my skills following him and my Grandpop around in their carpenter shop.  I do wish they still had it or that my dad was still here close; I think I'd be done by now if I could use his tools and shop.  My Dad, Kyron Collier is the voice in my head telling me to slow down, take my time, and check that cut one more time.  I am ever thankful for the both of them and all they taught me.

Okay so now that I have you wanting to scroll down let me show you how the trailer looks now.





There are no nail holes as I puttied them all then sanded the ceiling smooth before sealing it with a semigloss clear marine quality sealant.  I am very proud of my work, it took time but it was worth it.  The floor we used peal and stick linoleum squares.  These are the squares we gave him for our galley that he used on another build then never replaced.  I took my time with these too; I of course starting in the center and worked out to each side so the flooring remained balanced in appearance.  I did cut my hands numerous times on the paper and tiles and once from the knife when I didn't look where I set it.  Good thing my hubby was close by for a band aid and towel and he is always as we call it, "my tool monkey" holding my boards, supporting my planks for installation, and assisting me with tools.  He trusts me and I couldn't do this without his love and support.

I have to tell you all that this trailer was built excuse my language as it is not me but there is no other way to express this.... Ass Backward!  A teardrop is built first by building the base and sealing it, then flipping it over and covering the floor with whatever flooring you have chosen, then the bones go in (ours don't go to the floor.... another Crybaby job done piss poor.) After the bones you skin the inside so you can install lights and such and run wiring, then the insulation and you finish with the exterior.  This trailer was built all over the place with no plan, no direction, and no professionalism.  It has been a challenge to run down the issues and fix them because nothing is cut right or done right making the repairs longer and more costly.  We are getting closer but every repair is a new issue and new hurdle to cross.

Stay tuned for next week and the long awaited walls!!!  After the walls I can make the new galley shelf then the cabin cabinets.  After we are done with those it's on to the undercarriage and welding projects.  I have to secure and protect our wiring underneath and of course seal the whole undercarriage since Crybaby Teardrop left that as raw plywood too.

I'm signing off exhausted but very happy with where I am with the trailer rebuild.



3 comments:

  1. Good going, Tabitha! Looking at the pictures it looks like you’ve done a lot to fix up your trailer. It's really going to be a long journey fixing it up, but looking at the progress you’re making right now, I have a feeling it’s going to be all worth it. Good luck! :D


    Liza Pilon @ Prairie City RV Center

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Liza. Having purchased it brand new and custom built you shouldn't have to fix anything but here we are. I just can't say enough how I hope others can learn from this and really research who they have building their trailer, nobody should have to pay for a trailer twice. Thank you again for your great words of encouragement. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how you have documented all the work you have put into this. Your father and grandfather would be proud.

    ReplyDelete