Monday, April 21, 2014

Walls and Lights! We are looking like a trailer again!

Well it's Monday evening and time to recap the weekend and our progress. I could tell you this part was a cakewalk but it wasn't, it would have been if we'd put the walls in before the ceiling but we wanted to have access to the wiring behind them if we needed to down the road.

I recommend getting a cardboard trifold board to cut for the nose template.  It is easy to work with and once you are close you can snug it up and use a box cutter to shape it to the nose, plus it folds up and you can pass it out the door.  We saved ours so if we decided to change the interior we have it the next project. Saturday I spent the day shaping the nose template and then after taking Sunday off for Easter I was back at it this morning.  Our walls are not the same size but that isn't surprising there isn't a straight line anywhere in this trailer.  While they were in I had Bill hold them while I used the door as a template and drew out the new holes.  It took a little more time but I got them cut and shaped then stained the walls before putting them in.

Once the walls were in I attached the lights, fixtures, and put the frame around the ceiling vent.  I was excited to finally put up some of our wall art that I've had in a box since last August waiting.  I'm going to use copper as my edge trim, it should patina to a beautiful blue green and look sharp against the wood finish inside.  I'm still out working a bit tonight on it, I want to get the new wood cover cut for the under bed storage and I decided I would end with cutting and making the legs for our wood roll-up table.

Next weekend I am going to start on the nose cabinet, the galley cabinet, and hopefully get the stereo connected and the shelf installed.

Had to show again the before photo.  Everything was so sloppy right down to the huge screws Crybaby Teardrop Trailers used to attach the walls.  

The cabin is really coming together nicely.  I need to trim out our seams and trim out the doors then I am down to just adding cabinets.


Our trailer theme is Route 66, I have fond memories of traveling it with my family when I was young and enjoyed making new memories last summer with my family.  That is what pushed us to purchase a teardrop.  

If I could go back we would have just built the trailer ourselves, essentially that is what we have done because we had to strip the trailer back to the bones.  

The door is framed out so much better now.  The bottom sill doesn't cut into our legs anymore and the wind doesn't howl through the gaps anymore.  Can't wait to camp in our new cabin!  Those windows go next!  I have our sliders ready to install.  We still have not been refunded for the slider windows Crybaby Teardrop never installed or any of the other upgrades we purchase and paid for that they chose not to install.

The cabin light and ceiling fan are finished off very nice.  They look so sharp against the cedar planks.

Our reading lights are back in and I moved the switches to the front of the cabin so when we are sitting in bed we can turn off the lights instead of having to crawl to the back of the cabin where Crybaby put the old switch.



1 comment:

  1. Just came across this and love the information you have provided. This is so much help for me. I love how you have provided the information.

    ReplyDelete