Monday, June 30, 2014

Pull Out Shelves and Decal Details

I have to start by tell you all it has been 107*F here every day and not a cloud or lick of shade to be had.  This has made it miserable to work outside but it needs to get done so we come in during the rough part of the day but at it during the early morning and late afternoon working to fix the trailer.

I had to stop working and fix one of the shock mounts inside the galley on the side where the lid is 2 inches short.  The screws Crybaby used pulled out of the wood...... no surprise with the way this trailer was constructed just aggravating and takes time away from other fixes.

Today I was working on putting in the pull out shelves for the stove and ice chest and I took a bit of time to put in a plexiglass shelf under the sink and sealed it off with silicone so now if water gets under the sink it won't get on the stove or battery.  The sink rests well on it and it gives enough room for me to store the drying mat, sponges, and dish supplies.

I found at Michael's today some great stickers to help me make the galley supplies match and rock.  I'm actually using these as the back stickers, the front stickers will be in Cherokee... these will be the cheaters in the back so the family doesn't add something that shouldn't be and so they family can use our camping time to learn more Cherokee (our heritage).  Cherokee is one of the dying languages of our Indian Nations.  My native and my husband's native roots run deep.  I have the bone hair ties my great grandfather carved when courting my great grandmother.  I can tell other stories but that would be another blog. My husband's family was born on the reservation in Oklahoma..... my family hid in the hills during the Trail of Tears and when growing up we could only speak Cherokee when it was only family around.  I will share one of my favorite "Government Rations" recipes with you at the bottom of the blog.



When we returned today from picking up a few things the mail had delivered our car stickers that I designed and had made last week.  I did have to cut the door stickers because when I designed them I designed them for the D shaped doors we ordered but they did turn out really nice and make the trailer really pop.

Perfect blue color match to the FJ and the retro look now carries through inside and out.

The Blue Guppy decal is now on the front and the back of the trailer.

The Yellow Submarine flying high over the Blue Guppy... you know when we are in the campground now!

The door decals do take the hard edges off the rectangle doors.

I designed the logo up after the Blue Whale on Route 66 but since we are small we are only guppy size.  Mr. Limpet and Lady Fish round out our retro theme and always bring up great memories.

I love how the decals match the running lights I purchased.

A little sign I created to hang outside when we are set up in camp, a family crest for camping.

I added a plexiglass enclosed shelf under the sink and sealed it so that if water gets under it will not get to the stove or battery.


This afternoon I worked on installing pull out shelves for the butane stove and the ice chest.  This has been a project!  One side the clearance I must make to allow the rails to extend out is 2 inches, the other side is 1 inch; then for the ice chest one side is 2 1/4 and the other 1 1/4.  I'm telling you every time I measure something I have to measure it all the way around.  The shelf I put in was 18"x16" in the front and 18"x15 3/4" in the back.  It's like they just didn't take any time at all to really make their work matter.  It reminded me of when my Dad and I tore out the bathroom in the house we lived in when I was in high school.  The beams were all uneven but then we found old beer cans sealed behind the drywall and then the picture was clear.

I called it quits tonight before I got finished pictures.  I still need to level and install the shelves, I'm waiting for the glue to dry so in the morning I will be back out before the sun comes up.  The rails I'm using are rated for 100lbs and tomorrow I'm heading back out to get a small piece of about 5-10mm aluminum to cover the stove shelf so it's easy clean up when things splatter a bit. 

Tomorrow I will be finishing these up and installing the galley shelves and solar regulator by the battery.  I mused the placement around a lot.  The clearance needs to be 4" from the top and bottom and the battery and fuse box are wired into the regulator.  I thought about putting the solar regulator by the fuse box inside the cabin but when I took it and looked at where it would be it didn't work anywhere in the cabin so I have to install it in the galley where the battery is now.  Eventually I'm moving the battery to the front of the trailer which will give more room in the galley but the solar regulator will remain.

Chinese Chile

Hamburger
Rice
Tomato Paste
Seasonings

Brown ground beef with salt, pepper, garlic, and onion powder.  Add to rice, tomato paste, and water. Season to taste and add water for thickness.

No comments:

Post a Comment