Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Windows, Doors, and Table... Oh My.

Well it's another week and another entry into never ending story.  I pulled out the fabric I've had since we placed our order with Crybaby and finally had an opportunity to make curtains for the trailer.  With so many other things I've had to focus on curtains weren't high on my list but as we've gotten to a place where we are camping in it more I felt curtains were needed now.  I had purchased some black out fabric but found we don't really need it and I think I'm going to use it to make awnings for each door.

This brings us to one of the other things that wasn't high on the priority list but it has been a huge sore spot since they were installed..... the doors.  We had of course picked out and agreed upon D shaped doors, however, Crybaby changed them without consulting us and we were surprised when we went down and found the huge square doors in their place.  I wanted to cry when i saw them it ruined the vintage look we were going for and they were not what ordered or paid for.  We had to go with them because they were already cut in the frame.  As I've been working on the trailer I've found and you've no doubt read about how they were not framed right, the opening was cut too large for the doors, lopsided, not sealed properly, leaked, and we had countless other issues.  Well I worked through those and got down to just a few things left on them, replacing the crank out windows with slider windows, framing out the windows, and getting rid of the ugly white acrylic they used instead of wood.  I mean really it didn't match anything in the trailer, yet another horrible job and lack of professional detail.

In order to hang the new curtains I needed to address white walls because I didn't want to take two steps forward only to circle back and address it later.  I ordered some vintage road maps from gas stations of years gone by and used them as wallpaper.  I chose maps of route 66 to continue with our theme and then with some Mod Podge and a brush I set out and started erasing the ugly white.  The wind was my biggest obstacle today while managing to keep the glue wet and the map from flying away.  I was wishing I was working in the storage unit but didn't want to let the wind best me.

You can see how much framing I had to do to get the doors to fit properly and not be drafty anymore. 


I had to cut the curtain rods down to fit the windows and doors.  The smallest I could find were 28" so I had to cut 5" off to fit the space.


The maps look so cool as wallpaper and I added some vintage travel stickers to really make them fun.


Now we have privacy in the trailer and I don't have to see those ugly white doors.


The brown at the bottom of the door is a strip of pockets I added to hold flip flops for late night runs to the loo, cell phones, keys, flashlights, or anything you don't want to get lost and want it close.


You can see the pockets a bit better here.  It's great having a place for your flip flops or shows instead of leaving them outside in the damp.  Now my shoes and the flashlight are right there.


This was my bonus project for the week.  This is our camp table which rolls up and fits in a bag.  It came with short legs which makes it a great table to hang by the fire but too short to eat dinner at.  I cut four new legs and drove threaded anchors into them so they screw in like the others and they all fit in the bag together.

I started wiring our speakers too and had to order a 12 volt amplifier because the little XM Roady's volume isn't quite loud enough without one and we decided instead of paying for another subscription using the Roady from my car is a better choice.  I should have it all put together by the weekend.  So this is where I ended my trailer projects for tonight but not for the week.  I plan to take advantage of the cool weather and longer days and work on them until the street lights come on all week.

Oh I almost forgot the coolest side project I did this weekend!  You all remember the weather station we purchased and mounted to the front of the trailer, well I got creative with it.  As soon as we pulled it from the box I told my husband it looked like The Yellow Submarine.  Well I masked off all the sensors and with some yellow spray paint and some well placed graphics I transformed the weather station.

Before



You have to have fun.  



1 comment: